Twenty, Twelve.



October was another busy, busy month.  Visits to Cardiff, Nottingham and then the luxury of working at an event in Edinburgh! It’s been another great year working with the fantastic team at Rat Race Events.  Just one more trip to make to London this year for the Men’s Health Survival of the Fittest based by Battersea Power Station.  As this year draws to a close I’m delighted that the 2012 diary and wallchart are already filling up with lots of interesting events throughout the UK.

The Last September at The One Below - 28/10/11
It’s also been a busy time with music promotion.  The gigs at The One Below have seen varying audience numbers.  When it’s been busy the venue has really come into its own as one of the best intimate gigging experiences in Edinburgh.  Special mention has to go to the four brilliant acts who played in October – Collar Up, Volitantes, The Last September and Keith Meisner.  I'm particularly loving The Last September's track "Tears and Broken Glass."

I am continuing to work on building up the venue as a new and interesting gig for both the acts and the audience.  We’ve got a great team together delivering the gigs and I’m confident we can develop during 2012 as respected promoters of gigs.  Though I hate the word “promoter”!  I prefer to tell people that I organise and event-manage the gigs.  It's been a real delight to bring the following acts to the venue this year - Aerials Up, Boycotts, The Deadly Winters, The Hussy's, Tucker & The Scattered Family, Paul Gilbody, Donna Maciocia, Chris Bradley, Alan R Davison, Mike Kearney, Collar Up, Volitantes, Dropkick, The Elements, Six Storeys High, Ben Sturrock, K-Lab and Keith Meisner.

On Saturday I went along with Mike “Deadly Winter” Edie to the Radio Forth One To Watch Awards at the Liquid Rooms.  I’ve always been a keen supporter of the event since I had the pleasure of being there with Rieser and Underbelly in consecutive years.   The line-up this year was definitely one of the strongest I’ve seen in years, with the only disappointment being the small crowd.  The event is an excellent opportunity to showcase some of Edinburgh and the Lothian’s best new acts and it is produced very well with each act performing four songs, enough to hold the attention span of the audience.  Mr Jim Gellatly was on the judging panel and it was encouraging to see him reward two of the acts, The Directors and Tom Vevers, with sessions on his show In:Demand Uncut.  The Directors edged it on the night, but I’ll definitely be keeping an eye on all the acts - New Confessions, Caroline Gilmour and Nettles.  I have to say that the song of the night for me was New Confessions "Tell Yr Friends."  It's a cracking tune, as was Caroline's Mashup of KT Tunstall and Aloe Bloc. 
 
Jim Gellatly
Now, for over 10 years, my Thursday evenings were taken up with running gigs in the EH14 postcode to the west of the Edinburgh City Bypass.  This was not great for attending the highly respected music seminars Born To Be Wide.  However, I’m delighted that I’ll be heading along this Thursday to the Radio Seminar at Electric Circus.  The guest speakers are Grant Crain, Stewart Cruickshank, Vic Galloway and Jim Gellatly.  I'm sure there's tickets still available, but I’ll be sure to report back!

I’m still working away on setting up the Music Hub and base for Woosh Entertainments.  Lots of paperwork and patience required and I remain positive of a favourable outcome by the end of November.  It’s exciting times for Woosh Entertainments as we head towards 2012. 


And finally, there's a new single from The Deadly Winters to promote in November and the conclusion of the recording of Alan R Davison's album.  Enjoy The 'Ters performing live a new song, "It's Over Now" above and Mr Davison's Video Blog number 3 below....



I've got an inbox full of tunes which I need to download and review, which I will.  Look forward to giving them an airing in London next weekend.

Ever onwards........

Most Viewed Playlist Posts in the last 30 days.